¶ 1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 Social media gives us, as followers of Jesus, unprecedented opportunities to share the hope we have in Christ. Smartphones, apps, and high speed Internet connectivity provide Christians with powerful platforms to “pocket share Jesus” with a world full of darkness in need of his liberating Gospel message. The Psalmist reminds us that praise for God should always be on our lips.
¶ 4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 Our love for Jesus, the visible ways Christ acts in our lives daily, and the transforming power of God’s Holy Spirit should not be hidden from others. While we are called to personally witness to the reality and power of God in our lives with others around us face-to-face, we should seize hold of the powerful communication tools in our purses and our pockets to share the Gospel message with others in our social networks online and extended digital communities. God uses the voices and experiences of us, his people, to reach others with the liberating Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The prophet Isaiah heard God asking, “Who should I send?” Like Isaiah, when we hear this call from the Lord we should be quick to answer, “Lord, send me!”
¶ 9 Leave a comment on paragraph 9 0 After his resurrection from the dead, Jesus continued to walk among and teach his disciples. Before he ascended to be with God our Father in heaven, Jesus commanded all of his followers to go unto the ends of the earth and preach the gospel, witnessing to everyone about the love of God and His invitation to everyone to know him through his son, Jesus Christ. Even some of the disciples who saw Jesus in the flesh and walked with him doubted, but he encouraged them to believe and tell others about the reasons for their faith. At the end of his gospel, Matthew shared what we now understand to be the “Great Commission” of Jesus.
¶ 10 Leave a comment on paragraph 10 0 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
¶ 12 Leave a comment on paragraph 12 0 This website is an interactive book and media sharing project by Wesley Fryer (@eyesrightblog) of Oklahoma City. Eventually the content included on these pages will be available as a downloadable eBook as well as printed book.
¶ 13 Leave a comment on paragraph 13 0 Comments and feedback on these ideas are welcome! You’re invited to comment directly on individual paragraphs on this site, by clicking in the desired paragraph and adding a comment in the right sidebar area of the website. Alternatively, send feedback or questions as a Twitter reply to @eyesrightblog or using this electronic form.
¶ 15 Leave a comment on paragraph 15 0 You are invited to contribute to and participate in this project by using the Twitter hashtag #dw4jc as you serve as a digital witness for Jesus Christ. Read the chapter on “Hashtags” to learn more about how they can amplify the verses, stories and testimonies about Jesus which we share, and also help us connect to each other as Christians seeking to be digitally bold for the cause of Christ.
Related Past Projects
¶ 18 Leave a comment on paragraph 18 0 This project has gone through multiple iterations and continues as a work in progress. Some of my previous work and ideas which have led to the “Digital Witness for Jesus” book project include:
- ¶ 19 Leave a comment on paragraph 19 0
- Stories of Faith Podcast Series: Testimonies & Tales (background from 2008 and 2011)
- May 2015 Pocket Share Jesus – Mo-Ranch Men’s Conference (Hunt, TX)
- May 2014 Family Oral History and Smartphones – Mo-Ranch Men’s Conference (Hunt, TX)
- May 2013 Telling Your Mission Story with iPad Video – Mo-Ranch Men’s Conference (Hunt, TX)
- May 2012 Be a Digital Witness for Jesus – MoRanch Men’s Conference (Hunt, TX)
- BLASTcast podcast (Kids’ Sunday School podcasts, videos, photos and blog posts)
- 3 Minutes About Jesus: digital witnesses for Christ (originally available on 3minutesaboutjesus.org, but I let that domain registration lapse)
- Spiritual Parenting (a website supporting a midweek class my wife & I co-led a few years ago)
- Faith Discussions (a website supporting a past midweek adult discipleship class at our church, and a past book study by our church session)
- Exploring the Biblical World Through Google Earth (a midweek adult discipleship class I taught at our church in 2008. The Moodle course I setup for the class is no longer online, and the audio recordings/iTunes podcast channel seems to also be unavailable.)